Sunday, 9 January 2011

Pretty Handy

Just before Christmas, I was having a run of bad luck. I'd had my card details skimmed and was due to be without debit card access over Christmas and New Year. The final bits of Christmas shopping were stuck in some Amazon/Royal Mail holding loop due to the snow, and I was freaking out at my boyfriend about our journeys to Barnsley and Glasgow for Christmas in The Snow.

To cap it all, as I was sitting on my bed doing nothing more exciting than drying my hair, there was a tremendous crack and my bed disintegrated. This had happened...



Stupid cheap bedframe.



So what do you do with a dead bed, if you're me? Well. I took the headboard off and cut off a decent chunk of the foot with a saw, which was exciting.



It'll take a bit of work with the drill to finish it off nicely, and then there'll be an upholstery situation, but I think that making it into an awesome wooden pew-style bench is a good thing. Also, I've got about 2/3rds of the slats left for making into frames for veg planters when the time comes. Woo hoo.



In other news, I unwisely paid money for a really low-tech, brutally basic rigid heddle loom. I warped it up today, with some very lightweight cotton from Texere.



Aww, pretty. It took FOREVER.

What is taking even longer is the weaving. I wove all evening and have done about 6 inches.



The pattern is a sort of basic plaid, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. It'll be nice when there's enough of it to make a cushion. Also, don't worry. I'm not trying to make sheds with the tension like that, I just unwound some to show you.

1 comment:

soCherry said...

wow, and wow!

I'm really impressed - the bench and weaving look brilliant!